If you’re looking for a delicious yet nourishing breakfast recipe, look no further. This Energising Maca & Cacao Buckwheat Porridge has been my go-to recently because it tastes just like milo (yum) and gives me that little extra boost I need in the mornings. Conveniently, you can get the maca and cacao powder I use in this recipe together as a combo from Organicule Superfoods (10% off with my promo code SSAYANG10 before 30 April 2019!)
Hormonal balance and feeling more energised—who wouldn’t want that? While the amazing benefits of maca powder have always appealed to me, I get the worst stomach cramps and digestive issues everytime I try to eat it raw. I explain why in my latest post but to summarise, I personally find maca works best for me when it’s cooked, similarly to how it is traditionally cooked or fermented to be eaten in Peru, where the maca root originates from.
This recipe is one of my favourite ways to use maca in a cooked dish. I love having oats in the morning, but buckwheat porridge is a fun way to change things up—I find buckwheat groats more hearty and love that they’re high in minerals and antioxidants. Also despite what it's name may suggest, buckwheat isn’t actually a wheat and is naturally gluten-free. It goes perfectly with the malty chocolatey flavour from the cacao and maca, especially with that extra dash of almond milk!
CACAO VS. COCOA—WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE?
You might also be wondering what the difference between cacao and cocoa is? While both come from the same cacao tree, cocoa powder is raw cacao that’s been roasted at high temperatures. The process changes the molecular structure of the bean, reducing the enzyme content and lowering the overall nutritional value. In a nutshell, cacao is less processed than cocoa and as such has higher levels of antioxidants and along with a host of other benefits.
Having cacao, maca and buckwheat together is a powerhouse combination and a great way to start day. I can’t wait for you to try this recipe—let me know what you think in the comments below and don’t forget to tag me in your creations on Instagram!
ENERGISING MACA & CACAO BUCKWHEAT PORRIDGE (VGN, GF, RSF)
• ½ cup buckwheat groats, soaked overnight
• ½ cup water
• ½ cup almond milk + extra to serve
• 1 tsp Organicule Maca powder
• 2 tsp Organicule Cacao powder
• ½ tsp ginger powder
• Pinch of salt
For serving (optional):
Ground cinnamon, nut/seed butter, fresh fruit, cacao nibs, hemp hearts, coconut nectar
1. Cook porridge. Drain and rinse the buckwheat groats. Add the buckwheat groats to a medium size heavy-bottomed saucepan along with the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a boil over a medium heat, and once boiling, turn the heat down. Keep cooking the porridge uncovered for about 20 mins, stirring frequently until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
2. Garnish and serve. Divide the porridge between 2 bowls and top with ground cinnamon, fresh fruit and your other favourite toppings. I like to add a dash more almond milk to mine. Serve and enjoy warm.
Post created by - Ssayang